Friday, June 15, 2012

A Trickle of Authenticity

The beginning of my post.

Well, it's a rainy evening. I'm alone, under a blanket, next to the beagle (who's finally returned to us after living with my roommate's parents for a few weeks), and I'm about to make myself some coffee for the evening. I'll probably read a book tonight. Not sure which one. Feels right, ya know. This will be a bit of a bi-polar blog, I'm guessing. There are some ups and downs running through my head. Full disclosure. Blog time.
---
I've been discovering more and more that I'm a really bad sport. I kind of always knew. When it came to video games, I would get mad when I lost, as most people at some time or another do. But I've come to realization that beside the fact that I had a strange, weak, build growing up, that one of the reasons I never played sports (and really don't still to this day), is that I'm a bad sport. I'm a bad athlete with a bad attitude. Which means that regardless of whether I play or not, I'm mad about it in some way. The most recent thing I've noticed is that it's transcending into sports that I watch. When OKC lost last night, I was pissed. Not just upset or wishing they had won, but straight pissed, and a little hopeless. And it's game two. With the a 1-1 record. Of the best of 7. Two questions. How sick is that? And who have I become? I'm beginning to realize that since I never really gave two craps about physical competetiveness as a child, that it's all flooding in at once. Something needs to change. I just don't know what. If you can help, I'd appreciate it. Go Thunder. Suck it, Heat.
---
I recently switched from the newest Firefox to the newest Internet Explorer. I have to say, IE9 is pretty great. It's fast, pretty, and has lost of cool shortcuts and features. I will say I miss all the Firefox Add-Ons, but maybe IE will get some more now. Figured that was worth noting. Onward.
---
As some of you might know, I've been down lately. I had a blog all about it. And as things come on the mend, I've been taking advice from a good friend.
     "Be authentic, Jon. Be relational."
That's what he tells me. And to be honest, it's my biggest struggle. When I get really really authentic, I get vulnerable. And things don't seem to work well when that happens. But I'm getting there. I honestly want my authenticity to flood my life. Friends have been abounding the last few days. People have approached me relationally, and held out a hand. People I'd never expect. And that helps. Being authentic takes a while. And I think we all just need to be reminded that a flood of any kind starts with a trickle. And that's where I am.
---
Put Those Ears to Work - Pop Music Depression: Okay, so you might've noticed that this music section actually has a theme this time. This has been something that's been on my mind for a bit. Pop music today is too happy. It's mostly partying. Yeah, yeah I know you can say "Oh, what about Adele!? Her stuff is sad." Well, that's one person. Most of pop is about partying. I do like to party, BUT, I miss Pop from every other decade before this, that included significantly more morose. I want to challenge you people to listen to heartfelt, heartbroken pop and then come back to party stuff, and just tell me which one feels more real. I'm going to list some here that I'd recommend, and then rant about one new song in particular that really rustles my jimmies. Here's dat list.

Lightning Crashes - Live
I'm So Tired of Being Alone - Al Green
Only the Strong Survive - Jerry Butler
Still in Love With You - Thin Lizzy
Yesterday - The Beatles
By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Isaac Hayes


Okay, well after listening to that last one on YouTube, I'm completely torn apart. And in that, I'm not going to rip in to One Direction like I was planing. That will come later. But in trying to not be too serious, I'm gonna include a section of one of my favorite romantic movies, which I may watch tonight if nothing else happens.



---
Well, there's more I want to say. And I will in my next blog. I forgot how powerful music can be, and I'm gonna take some time to listen. Thanks for stopping by. Until next time, friends. Until then.

The end of it.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome-my fav romance too. Read the book-even better. It's a romance movie for guys.

    ReplyDelete