Monday, January 28, 2013

Learning.

Mornin'

     Well. It's early. I've actually been up for about a half an hour, depressingly enough. I had the weekend off and I forgot to call in on Saturday and see what I worked. So I woke up at 6:45, assuming I worked at eight. I work at ten. So I now have all kinds of time to blog! Hooray. Well this weekend had all kinds of things. I'll explain.
--
     I was in Omaha this weekend, visiting my girlfriend who was in her school's version of the "Little Women" Broadway musical. My girlfriend was on Bible College Broadway, if I can call it that. And while her role wasn't the biggest, or one that she'll probably look back on super fondly, it brought a lot of joy to my heart seeing her up there, big false nose and all.

    What I'm realizing is just how much I've learned in the last month we've been together, and don't get me wrong, this isn't a gushy blog about dating and feelings. I'm still me, whether I have a girlfriend or not. However, I've been learning more and more just how being a boyfriend works.

     Now you might be thinking,
 
"Jon, you've had a girlfriend before. You SHOULD know how this works."
 
     And you're right. And wrong. The thing is, that this is the first relationship that I've been a part of since I came back. You see, I've tried so hard to detach myself from the old Jon, and all the crap I was involved in before, that I really don't remember it. I've been praying earnestly for forgetfulness the last few months. Yeah, that's right. Praying for forgetfulness. That God would take away all the stuff from my memory that used to define me. And it's been working. I've been remembering less and less about the man I was, and naturally a big part of that involves my past relationships. Not to sound corny, and believe me, I'm aware that this is slightly out of context, but this verse was on my heart this morning,
 
 "And He who sits on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new.' And He said, 'Write, for these words are faithful and true.' Then He said to me, 'It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.' "
-Revelation 21:5
     
     I've read this verse a few times in my life, and never really gave a lot of thought to it, but I'm living proof that this is true. He's made a new creation out of me. A "me", that not a year ago was still pretty heavily rooted in sin. A "me" that was living dishonestly and didn't care. A "me" that wanted to jump back into dating thinking I was a hot-shot Christian Fonzie that was just going to be some kind of lady killer. But more importantly he took away the suicide. He took away the loathing. He took away the desire to drink until I couldn't see, and "party" like it was my last night alive (which it could've been, time and time again). He drew me from the pit and allowed me to overcome. And the verse makes my inheritence sure. Because of his goodness, I will be given the spring of the water of life. He will (and is) my God and my identity is that of his child. And my relationship has been a big redemptive analogy. I'm literall re-experiencing things for the first time. God has a way of genuinely making things new.
     
     Being a real Christ centered boyfriend is a new experience for me. I take new joy in little things, like having a hand to hold. I have a new sense of responsibility, like finding ways for us to connect with God together. And while I'm new at this in a lot of ways, leaning on Christ and learning from him have been the most encouraging and exciting things that I've experienced. And while I may seem like some sappy "Churchie", I want you to know that this is all very real. I want to offer you that same hope. The same regeneration. God may be knocking at your door, and I'd hate for you to miss it, like I did for so long. If you ever feel the need to talk about it, I'll talk to you. I don't care where you are in life and I have no judgment or condemnation for you. Just the same love that was shown to me when I was at my worst.
 
      Thanks for stopping by, friend. You bring me a lot of happiness.
--
          P.s. The three of us are the proud owners of a cat named Tyrone this week. There's already been enough happening to write a blog about, so I'm sure before the week's end there will be updates galore. See y'alls later.
 
   
 
     
    

2 comments:

  1. Jon,
    Thanks for encouraging me today. I love the man that God is leading you to be, and I love that God's promises never fail. I am blessed to be your mom! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon,

    The thing I always come back to is that "We serve the God of the Resurrection"! We are never too far gone, though we often think we are.

    There's an old Gary S. Paxton song: "He was there all the time, waiting patiently in line..."

    God's Grace knows no bounds, yet I can scarcely wrap my head around it. One doesn't need to understand it, one just needs to accept it...but it goes against the grain of "me" being "in control".

    Control is overrated compared to trusting in His plan for me...yet I kick at that pretty consistently.

    I suffer from consistent entropy, my relationship with God goes from pretty good to "meh". Then something happens that I get renewed in the Spirit again. An ebb and flow that often sees more ebb than flow...yet time and again God "resurrects" me.

    I enjoy your stream of conscientiousness in your writing...you have much to offer...keep at it my friend!

    Charlie Miles

    ReplyDelete