Monday, September 3, 2012

Breakfast Thoughts

Good mafternoon everyone (morning + afternoon, I didn't wake up until eleven)

     It's labor day. Which, for a long time I though was just an extension of mother's day.

"Oh, not only are you mothers, but that means that that you had to go through labor too, so here's a day off for EVERYONE!"
 
 
...Those were my thoughts. I was dumb.
 
     But with the well deserved day off from all the hard work I do, I thought I'd do what I could to bless your day, via blogpost. Lesdoit.
--
     I started off my day unusually. Which means I ate a decent breakfast. I purchased my first French press a few days ago, and have absolutely been loving it. It makes some of the best coffee I've had at home, and if I had a milk frother and some flavor syrups, I'd be dang close to having my own coffee shop. But I digress. Here's what I'm eating. It's not super impressive looking, though that's partially due to my photography skills.

 
So I'm sitting here, enjoying my mountain of bacon and strong, dark coffee. Thoughts abound. Here are a few.
--
    Hipsterisms continued: A Commentary on Hipster-Jon
          In the last few days, I've begun to notice a pattern in my life, that again is moving towards what some may consider "hipster". Not only do I now drink coffee from a French press (it takes longer, is more labor intensive, and is seen as elitist by some AKA hipsterish), but I'm now planning on biking everywhere I can (not every bike rider is a hipster, but every hipster rides a bike), and I just purchased a pretty expensive Timbuk2 messenger bag for my bike trips. Here's a pic of my new baby. 

   Now so far this is the best bag I've ever owned, by far. It's comfortable, super convenient, and has a polyurethane liner so it's waterproof. But the culture around these bags is VERY hipster. They're made in San Francisco, and came with recylcing instructions for all of it's packaging, even a plastic map of San Francisco that's given to all customers, with the intent that if you don't use the map, that it makes a great bike seat cover and that it otherwise should be recycled.
 
     So yeah, that's the culture I'm beginning to get into. Inadvertent Hipster-Jon is being born.
--
     Through It All: Folks, it's been a while since I've posted in this section. There's a lot to say to catch up on, but my main focus is this: there's an indirect variation between physical strength, and the spiritual.
    
     The last two, going on three weeks have been exhausting. Attending (almost) 16 hours of class a week, working 20+ hours and spending 15-20 hours a week on campus working with CRU (I'll dedicate a chunk of a blog to describing what I do with them) and then doing homework and trying to have friends, well I've really had no life at all. I come home drained, usually after 16+ hour days, to a lot more going on.
    
     Recently, God's thrown me into a position of counseling. Several of my friends have been going through some tough things, and I've been able to be there for them. I've realized that all the stuff I've been through has made me a pretty understanding guy, and really someone who's not able to be all that surprised at what I hear. It took me up until now to realized that THAT'S what God had for me all this time. That not only would I come back to him and find peace, but that my experiences and mistakes would be used to help my friends. Along with the campus ministry that I've been doing, I've never felt more spiritually rewarded than now. God's bringing me up to a level I never thought I'd be, and it's tought me a lesson that I'd like to encourage you with.
 
     Don't settle on where you are with God.
 
For almost two decades I was content with where I was, only to come through some trials and realize that I wasn't where I thought I was. I was much further away. I never realized what it meant to be sustained and to literally feel the presence of the most-high God. But it took a lot for me to get there. More than I'd wish on anyone. And maybe you're one of those people who know who you're supposed to be with God, but your running. Let me tell you a little story.
 
     There's an 18 year old freshmen kid named Colton in my Bible study. At first glance he is just one of the happiest, most understanding, and most welcoming people I've met. I've only ever seen him with a smile on his face and a cheerful word. This week at Bible study I asked the students if there was a time when they weren't living up to who they should be. Colton responded, with a smile on his face. I paraphrase.
 
"Well, my parents got a divorce a few months ago. That was hard for me. Two months ago, my dad died. That's when I started drinking. I partied because I didn't want to feel the pain that I had going on in my life. A friend of mine drug me to a weekend Bible conference and the Spirit got to me. He reminded me, no wait he told me for the FIRST TIME who I really was. So I guess I'd say that no matter how much you want to run, that if He wants you, God will catch you..."
 
     I was absolutely stunned.
 
 
This guy has been through more pain than I may ever go through. And it was fresh pain. And he smiled the whole way through it. And ended with, God will catch you. That took me 23 years to figure out. All I can say is that God definitely has a plan for that kid, and he has one for you.
--
    The rain today makes me want to do nothing but sit on my balcony and puff my pipe. These are the days I long for. Days that are so blatantly romantic that you don't even have to really look for things to be in love with them for. Mmmm...
--
    Well, this blog went a little long. Sorry if it was winded at points. It's definitely not breakfast anymore. I'm heading to a gathering of some friends in a bit for hookah and friend time. And my computer battery is dying now. Well, it's off to the showers for me. Until next time friends. Do what you do and know I love you.
 

 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Jon,

    I like your writing voice, it seems to flow naturally and you have a nice way of organizing your thoughts!

    Keep writing...I'll keep reading,thanks for a well written piece!

    ReplyDelete