Monday, May 7, 2012

I'm On My Way

Hey all. Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, the last few days have been out-of-control busy. After a 12 hour day of being in my black and white's on Saturday and not really able to function at all Sunday, this is my first day really being alive. Okay, enough excuses. More blogging.
---
Today was a great day. I had a sweet time at work and grabbed lunch with my friends Matt and Kelsey afterwards (For everyone in not in Ames, I'm about to plug a local place, my apologies). We ate at the Downtown Deli, on Main Street right next to Olde Main. It has to be my favorite place in Ames to get a sandwich. Everything's fresh made, and SUPER cheap. You want to go sometime? I'll gladly take you. Then the three of us went out to Ada Hayden and did some exploring. We found a sweet little spot with a swing and a sweet view and we just sat there and enjoyed. You had to be there. So in other words, it was better for me than it is for you to read. Move along.
---
Free Willy is being watched on Netflix at my apartment. I'm also eating a freezie-pop. Enter 1995. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
---
Put Those Ears To Work: First post about some music I want my friends to know about. I'm not getting into anything too weird or abstract, this time. So get your music devices ready and put on those listening pants. Here comes some ish.
I've been listening to the Proclaimers a ton the last few days. Everybody knows them from the song "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" and probably "I'm On My Way" from the first Shrek movie. However, I'm taking you off the beaten path, to the album "Hit the Highway". The album starts off strong with "Let's Get Married", a heartfelt tune that is as simple as it is profound and romantic. Guys, if you can sing and play guitar, propose with this song someday. It might just work. If it doesn't, look for another lady. The songs on this album are great, but if you're looking for a knockout single, you won't find it here. The album's gem, in my opinion, is their rendition of "I Want to Be a Christian". It's one of my favorite old hymns, and they pull it off just perfectly. The album ends with a song about as anti-romantic as they come, considering the one  it starts with. It's called "Don't Turn Out Like Your Mother". Here's my favorite line from this tune:

It's not the way she looks
It's not the food she cooks
Her kind of indignation
Don't cause me trepidation
But to live with a woman like this
Would take a masochist
Or someone who could get and could stay permanently pissed

Sublime. Please give it a listen. 
---
On a bittersweet note, my friend Dan Bivens is getting transferred to another Fareway. He's going to do great, but the store will be strange without him. I suppose it was only a matter of time. He'll be missed but he's on to "new" (Fareway is monotonous, no doubt) experiences. Let life change. But don't let it change you. That's for you to do.
---
There's not a lot more I want to say tonight. I've a bit of a headache, and I'm thinking I may see some homies tonight. It's supposed to be a really nice week. Get out there and enjoy it.

Honey mustard > all sandwich dressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment